Recently, my sister sent me a recipe that featured broccoli, one of my favorite vegetables. I tried to think of how I could include this recipe in the blog, since I was certain I had already spotlighted broccoli as a Healthy Ingredient of the Week. I was pleasantly surprised, however, when my search of past featured healthy ingredients found broccoli nowhere on the list. This recipe, and the many reasons to eat broccoli (it’s extremely high in Vitamin C, a good source of fiber and Vitamin A, and rich in antioxidant carotenoids), are long overdue.
2 cups broccoli, cut into 1 – 2 inch pieces
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons of toasted pinenuts
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
3 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Toast the pinenuts in a dry skillet and set them aside to cool.
3. Slice the onion and add it to a sauté pan over medium heat with enough olive oil to coat the pan.
4. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until the onion is translucent, then add the chopped broccoli and garlic (add more olive oil if needed).
5. Season with salt and pepper, toss and cook for 5 – 7 minutes over medium heat, or until the broccoli just starts to become tender (if the garlic or onion start to brown, add a few tablespoons of water).
6. Add the pinenuts to the broccoli and toss together.
7. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese with a couple teaspoons of olive oil, and mix together to moisten the bread crumbs.
8. Move the broccoli to an oven-proof pan or dish. Top with the bread crumbs and cook in the over for 10 – 15 minutes, or until the top is browned, and the broccoli is tender, but still has a bite to it. Serves 4.
Recipe from No Recipe Required