As described in a previous post, employees at DOC’s MCI Norfolk recently participated in a healthy cook-off. All of the dishes prepared were delicious, especially the ones below, which took home top honors. These dishes work well when feeding a crowd, or as part of a family meal or celebration.
Mexican Chix Bites
2 Cups of Water
2 Packets of Taco Seasoning
1 Large Jar of Salsa
6 Boneless Chicken Breasts
2 Cups Brown Rice
Multi Grain Tostitos Scoops
Mexican Shredded Cheese
Low Fat Sour Cream
1. Bake the chicken @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Dice into small cubes.
2. Add Water, Taco Seasoning, and Salsa into a large skillet pan. Bring to a boil, then add Rice and chicken. Stir constantly.
3. Once water is absorbed (5-10 minutes), place Tostitos Scoops on a baking pan and use a small ice cream scoop or spoon and place chicken/rice mixture into Tostitos Scoops.
4. Sprinkle on Mexican Cheese; place back in the oven @ 350 degrees for 4-5 minutes. Take out and enjoy. ***You can also add a small scoop of Low Fat Sour Cream before eating***
Recipe from Captain Arnie Larson
1 lb of Noodles (wide width, preferably whole wheat)
16 oz low-fat/fat-free sour cream
16 oz low-fat/fat-free cottage cheese
8 oz low-fat/fat-free cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar (If you use Splenda or another sugar substitute – cut amount in half)
1/4 cup skim or 1% milk
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 stick butter
Cinnamon, to taste
1. Cook noodles until tender – rinse with cold water and put to the side.
2. Melt butter and mix other ingredients together until creamy.
3. Mix noodles in with creamy batter
4. Place contents in greased oblong pan. Top with cinnamon.
5. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown
6. Take out of oven and cool down before cutting into squares
It’s Simple, It’s Good and It’s Low in Calories!
Recipe from CPO A/B Eileen Yelle